This Guide is meant for iPod touch 4G running on iOS 6.1.5 : Jailbreaking using redsn0w
Update : P0sixspwn - Latest untethered jailbreak tool for iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4/6.1.5/6.1.6 released,
follow this updated guide to jailbreak your iDevice from here
Device Compatibility :
- iPod touch 4G
- Mac OS
Tools to Download :
- iPod touch iOS firmware : iOS 6.1.5 & iOS 6.0
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 : Windows (Run as administrator)
Mac (OS X - use Ctrl-Click->Open if on Mountain Lion)
How to Jailbreak iOS 6.1.5
Note : Before following this tutorial your iPod touch should be running iOS 6.1.5 (Backup)
- Download the original iOS 6.0 firmware and Redsn0w from the link provided above.
- Connect your device to the computer and double click the RedSn0w.zip file and extract the application. Navigate to the RedSn0w folder.
- Right click or control-click the redsn0w application from the extracted redsn0w folder and choose Run as administrator.
- Once redsn0w opens click Extras button.
- From the Extras menu click the Select IPSW button.
- Navigate to iOS 6.0 Firmware folder and select the iOS 6.0 IPSW then click Open.
- You'll be informed that the iOS 6.0 IPSW will be used for the rest of the session. Click OK.
- Click the Back button and then click the Jailbreak button from the main menu.
- Redsn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data.
- Ensure Install Cydia is selected from the options menu then click Next.
- Turn OFF your device then click the Next button.
- Redsn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode.
- Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until redsn0w detects the device.
- Your iPod will now be exploited with limera1n.
- Redsn0w will now reboot your device.
- Redsn0w will upload a new RAM Disk and Kernel.
- Once this is complete you will be notified that redsn0w is done and that this is a tethered jailbreak.
Boot Tethered :
Note: Before you go ahead, keep in mind that this is a tethered jailbreak and will require you to plug your device into your computer in case you wish to reboot your device. With that aside, lets begin.
- Lauch RedSn0w again.
- From the main RedSn0w menu click the Extras button.
- Choose Select IPSW from the Extras menu and select the iOS 6.0 IPSW.
- Choose Just boot from the menu and follow the instructions to put your device into DFU Mode again for boot. (Follow step 11 to 18)
- Wait for the process to complete, once it is complete, you should see the Lock screen on your iPod touch.
- BOOM.!!!! That's it, your iPod touch has now been Successfully jailbroken and you should see Cydia on the Home Screen.
iPod touch 4G running Cydia on iOS 6.1.5
- Enjoy Jailbreaking.!! :)
iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4/6.1.5/6.1.6 Untethered Jailbreak Update :
For Untethered Jailbreak Follow this simple steps :
- Have a tethered Jailbreak (via redsn0w).
- Open Cydia.
- Click the "Changes" tab in the footer.
- Press the "Refresh" button in the top left corner.
- After "Reloading Data", perform a search for "p0sixspwn"
- Tap Install.
- BOOM.!!!! You're on Untethered Jailbreak. :)
Jay Freeman (Saurik)
Jay Freeman (Saurik)